Sunday 1 January 2012

Dave does the Habitat for Humanity’s Polar Bear Dip 2012!

Most people on New Year’s Day are hugging the china thrown or crawl out of bed late afternoon followed by a trip top the greasy spoon or a painful family roast. Not for us. We had a good night but surprisingly not very drunken. Dave saw this dip and was adamant he was going to take part. Of course being the doting girlfriend I volunteered to cheer him on from the side and keep his clothes dry…

Each year Polar Bear Club’s across Toronto arranges the Polar Bear Dip to raise money for Habitat for Humanity. This is basically where people turn up on New Years day, strip down to their swimming costumes and at midday all run into freezing Lake Ontario for a dip, plunge, swim!

Sound a bit mental? Yes I think so.

To be honest I was pretty sceptical that he would want to do when it was time to get out of bed, but before I could really think abut what was happening, I was out of bed trudging down towards Lake Ontario in the rain at 10.30 am. Luckily the temperature was at 5°C and not minus, but still pretty cold to get almost naked and swim.

We arrived by the lakeshore at Sunnyside Beach and I can tell you – it was NOT sunny. It was absolutely pouring down. You also don’t realise how windy it can be by a lake shore, but these great lakes aren’t like lakes at home. They are called great lakes for a reason – they are massive. Lake Ontario is apparently larger than the English Channel. You forget it’s a lake when you’re there and it just feels like being by the sea. 

DSC02864

The time came for Dave to strip. Thankfully the rain had stopped slightly. He realised he didn't have any decent shoes to run in with, so remedied it by taping (with Canadian maple tape of course) my Haviana’s to his feet.

DSC02867


I must say I was very impressed with how up for it he was. Even if a little unprepared!

DSC02869

Along with the 359 other Dippers he ran into the flagged off section of the beach.

DSC02870

DSC02874


“Five … four … three … two …” called an announcer.

“One!” A surge of very brave “swimmers” surged from the beach into the freezing water. It was so hilarious.
DSC02880


And made me glad I was the one holding the clothes.
DSC02882


Can you spot Dave?
Within seconds, people were running back to the refuge of the beach, with bright red faces, legs and arms. There was a real mixture of relief, elation and pain. But I could still see Dave in there splashing around.
I was freezing, and I was fully dressed with gloves on. He finally came out and was soaked by dipping all the way up to his over his shoulders. I was mighty impressed.
DSC02883

Extreme close-up!!!
DSC02884


We got him dry and dressed and went to a café on Roncesvalles for a delicious New Year’s brunch to celebrate his triumph.
What a way to start the year - Happy 2012!

1 comment: